Message From David Field, Entercom’s President and CEO

Dear Entercom Family,

Today we continue to mourn the loss of our dear friend and colleague Steve Forsyth. Steve worked for Entercom in Portland for 14 years and made a great impact on all of us who knew him. Steve died tragically on Tuesday when he was one of the victims of the Portland mall shootings.

We are all heartbroken. This senseless, tragic murder struck down a truly wonderful human being in the prime of his life. Steve was a highly talented man with a zest for life and a terrific sense of humor. He loved his family dearly.

Our thoughts and prayers remain with Steve’s family and friends at this difficult time.

With great sadness,

I invite you to share your memories of Steve below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Nicolet says:

Although i never had the opportunity to meet Steve’s family, I would like to say it was an honor to live next to Steve at USD.
    Steve was never one to let the day pass without a sincere conversation about why we are all here.
    To all the members of the bone yard…Steve’s memory will live on!

2. Steve Flood says:

I can’t say that I knew Steve well, but perhaps the fact that I feel I lost a close friend is the perfect testament to the power Steve had to impact the lives of others-no matter how brief the encounter. I came to know Steve through my business partner at the time, Eric Stephens. Steve and Eric knew each other through the radio community, and Eric invited Steve to work with our agency, Red Monkey, on a radio project with Entercom. Upon meeting Steve for the first time, I was immediately struck by his presence. Not his obvious height, but the energy that arrived in the room with him. It’s the rare quality so many of us are drawn to when in the company of a truly authentic human being–someone completely at ease with himself and unafraid to let his best qualities shine through. We call these rare souls magnetic, and Steve defined this attribute. Simply by walking into a room, he made everyone around him feel better. I’ve come to learn you don’t come around the Steve Forsyths very often in life, but when I do, I cherish every moment I can get with them, and such was the case with my relationship with Steve. I can count on one hand the number of times we had the pleasure of talking, and sadly, like so many others, I regret there weren’t more. As young fathers, losing touch tends to happen, but for all the right reasons. Consequently, our friendship now can be added to the list of things cut short by what would at first appear a random and senseless act. The manner in which Steve left us has left behind wake of sadness, shock, horror and, most of all, mystery. Certainly, we will never know why Jacob Roberts did what he did. But one day, I would like to believe we will find that it took the passing of someone as beloved as Steve to cast a spotlight on what has become an issue our society must address. I would like to think that had Steve survived the shooting, and only days later come to learn of the events in Connecticut, “the Senator” would deploy the full force of his passion and energy to find a way to prevent such atrocities from happening again. Until that time comes, my family’s heartfelt love goes to not only Steve’s family, but to all those grasping for answers in the wake of this week’s shootings. To this, I would like to share something I have found helpful in recent days. It’s a letter written by a sage asked to provide answers to a couple grieving over the loss of their daughter to a equally inexplicable act. I hope it may help bring some peace-even a little to all struggling with the loss of Steve.
    “Rachel finished her work on earth, and left the stage in a manner that leaves those of us left behind with a cry of agony in our hearts, as the fragile thread of our faith is dealt with so violently. Is anyone strong enough to stay conscious through such teaching as you are receiving? Probably very few. And even they would only have a whisper of equanimity and peace amidst the screaming trumpets of their rage, grief, horror and desolation.
    I can’t assuage your pain with any words, nor should I. For your pain is Rachel’s legacy to you. Not that she or I would inflict such pain by choice, but there it is. And it must burn its purifying way to completion. For something in you dies when you bear the unbearable, and it is only in that dark night of the soul that you are prepared to see as God sees, and to love as God loves.
    Now is the time to let your grief find expression. No false strength. Now is the time to sit quietly and speak to Rachel, and thank her for being with you these few years, and encourage her to go on with whatever her work is, knowing that you will grow in compassion and wisdom from this experience. In my heart, I know that you and she will meet again and again, and recognize the many ways in which you have known each other. And when you meet you will know, in a flash, what now it is not given to you to know: Why this had to be the way it was.
    Our rational minds can never understand what has happened, but our hearts – if we can keep them open to God – will find their own intuitive way. Rachel came through you to do her work on earth, which includes her manner of death. Now her soul is free, and the love that you can share with her is invulnerable to the winds of changing time and space. In that deep love,
    include me.” Ram Dass, Co-Founder, The Seva Organization

3. Jim Patterson says:

I worked in Portland radio sales back in the late 80’s and remember our staff welcoming a bright, young, energetic, playful and kind rookie to the team. When I learned of the tragic events at the Clackamas Town Center I of course heard that lives were lost. And then I saw the name and picture of Steve Forsyth and after all these years later my mind immediately was filled with memories of this man. The point is after 25 plus years and the thousands of people I have been acquainted with since, I remember Steve and his smile and his sense of humor and decency. He was a person you won’t ever forget even when you only knew him a short time. Heaven is celebrating his arrival while those of us mourn his loss. My heart goes out to his wife, children and extended family. Rest in eternal peace Steve.

4. Kent Ragen says:

The Almighty For! That’s what we called him in high school. Steve was a force of nature, a huge and positive personality. Steve lit up a room with his good humor, and he set a strong example with his courage. I haven’t seen Steve in many years, but our 4 years together in high school made a lasting impression. Steve shined bright, and I know he is resting in peace with the knowledge that he made a positive impact in the world.

5. Debbie Tragethon says:

Dearest Carla,
    My Heart & Prayers wrap around your family to help keep you warm & feeling safe..
    my Prayer for you is the comfort knowing he is always,always with you,
    & at Peace in Heaven. His
    Loving Smile & Kind Spirit will touch all those who knew him & those who are touched by what happened… call us if there is anything we can do<3

6. Allan Davis says:

Steve was one of the main reasons working for Entercom Portland was so enjoyable. I don’t recall a day I didn’t share a laugh with the guy. Kicking back with Steve was part of every day. His energy was a huge influence on the great culture in the building. He brought creativity to meetings, tremendous guidance to the staff and a ton of laughs to the halls. He made our business better. Just by being there. Just by being himself. Parties were better when Steve was there as well. I admired Steve Forsyth. Our thoughts are with Carla and the family.